Saturday, February 27, 2016

Heart of Woe Easy Homemade Template With Instructions



I have been looking through some of my Herohammer magic items for some that fit the fluff of my army.  Came across this little gem the Heart of Woe and decided to make a custom template.


With inspiration form the internet I set about making my own.




I started with going out in the shed and making around 8-10 small sprays of spray foam insulation.
Once that was done I let them expand for  a couple hours.  Then I went out and chose 4-5 explosiony looking ones.  I hacked them a little bit and hot glued them together.

I then stuck in 8 tooth picks, cuz meh army is Khorne. ;)  These would be the base support for my flock smoke spirals.  I hot glued those on.  Then I had ordered some 10mm hearts to put on each end, to give it a retro Nintendo feel.


After that was complete I covered the whole model in a light modeling paste to firm it all up.  After that I spray painted it with some black testors spraypaint.  The cool thing about spray foam insulation is you don't have to worry about it degrading from spray paint.



With that complete all I had to do was paint it.  I started with the orange explosion.  Giving it a base coat of GW Wild Rider Red, then worked up to Troll Slayer Orange, with a final orange highlight of Fire Dragon bright.  I then splotched in some Foundry Ochre and Ochre light.  The the last step was to give it a wash of Fuegan Orange.


After that I worked on the smoke spirals.  Touched up all the black areas.  I then gave it a dark grey drybrush, then went over it again with a lighter grey.


Finally the hearts.  I base coated them Khorne Red, then layered up with Wazdaka Red.  Finishing the tips off with Foundry Bright Red and Bright Red light.


Then I finished the ground work with my normal steps of Americana Driftwood, with a wash of Agrax Earthshade.

Here is a shot for scale.



 Now to get it on the table top and decimate my opponents.  Serves them right for killing my Army Commander. ;)


Bulldog Lopez can look forward to this exploding in his face the next time we meet on the battlefield. ;)

26 comments:

  1. I guess the secret is out! ;) This is easily my favourite Herohammer related thing I've seen to date, you utter madman! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cap'n! Black Vasken can't wait to blow his load..we I mean heart all over bulldoglopez!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He is coming for you! And if his knights don't get you his heart will!

      Delete
  3. See, now you are just going to be tempted to put your commander in silly, dangerous positions just so you get your new template out. Great stuff. I especially like the hearts, epic touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can't wait. Should make for some very cool comic reports! Cheers

      Delete
  4. Very cool, very khorne, and almost guaranteed to cause narrative hilarity. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rab! "Awe man we gotta go visit that creepy necromancer again, general went and blew himself up...again!"!

      Delete
  5. Used to love running a goblin suicidal hero with heart of woe. Great modelling though, using expanding foam is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to using it. I have a couple more ideas for the foam as well.;) Cheers

      Delete
  6. THIS is what makes oldhammer cool!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little hearts kick it up to eleven.

    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Suitably bonkers. I love the fact that your hero has to die to use it and it says "only one use" on the card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be legendary! Mainly to use on Lopez, but hopefully get a chance on your green skins at some point. ;)

      Delete
  9. Some of the comments got me thinking...I have subconsciously made my general blow up over and over again...lol ironically personal for me lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know Bulldog Lopez personally. He likes things exploding on his face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've already beaten "Bulldog" once... You don't have to rub his nose in it. Heh.
    This is an awesome piece especially for the overkill value. I can see many opponents turning red after this gets deployed, definitely not love at first sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks 24 it should prove very comical....for me at least. lol

      Delete